Wiffle Ball Rules You Must Know To Uplift Your Game In 2023
For many US citizens, Wiffle could be a new game. But it was invented by David Mullany in 1953. It is a popular backyard game that is often mistaken as a baseball game.
Ultimately, there are some rules and elements that are the same in both sports. But one way or another, both are different from each other.
So, how to play Wiffle ball? And most importantly, what are its rules? Well, worry not! We got you covered. This article is going to be your ultimate guide about Wiffle ball rules.
So, sit back and take a plunge into the essential information you should know.
What Is A Wiffle Ball?
Wiffleball is a team sport that is played between two teams. The motive of the game is to score more than the opponent’s team.
Each game consists of 5 to 7 innings. Usually, the game lasts for 60 minutes. The minimal requirement for playing a game is at least two players, a ball, and a bat.
Is Wiffle Ball A Sport?
Yes, Wiffle ball is a sport mainly popular in the US. There are over a million players in the World. In Texas State, three leagues started in 2021 alone.
The popularity skyrocketed in 1980 when the first championship was introduced. The trend of major Wiffle ball leagues in the US started in 2009. Since then, it got the status of a professional sport.
Wiffle Ball Equipment
While playing league matches, there are some essential rules that are always followed.
- You can only play with the white baseball-size Wiffle ball.
- The ball must have eight slots.
- The ball is considered illegal to use if it is torn more than ¼ inches.
- Players cannot use tape on the Wiffle bats.
- In the league’s matches, players can only use standard yellow bats made of plastic.
- Only batters are allowed to wear gloves while on the pitch.
Wiffle Ball Field Dimensions
The field is in the shape of a triangle but with a circular tip on one side. The Wiffle ball field size usually differs in the leagues.
Mostly the field specifications are as below:
|Field||Distance From Home Plate|
|Outfield Fence||90 – 95 feet|
|Pitcher’s Mound||40 Feet|
|Singles Line||45 Feet|
|Doubles Line||65 Feet|
|Triple Line||80 – 85 Feet|
For a double or a triple run, the ball needs to pass the line on a fly.
Wiffle Ball Players
The number of players can vary. But if it is a league match, then a team can have a maximum of 10 players. A total of five players can bat. But at once, only three players are allowed on the field.
A team can only decide the player’s substitute only in between the innings. In case of injury, a player can be replaced at any time. Batting out of order is also considered as out. A pitcher must need to face a baller before getting replaced.
A player is considered out in two cases if he misses three consecutive balls or gets caught out during swinging.
Professional Wiffle Ball Rules
- Only two outs are allowed from each team in an inning.
- The number of players in a team can be from 1 to 10.
- Toss decides which team will bat or ball first.
- A batter must hit the ball within three pitches.
- The batter will be considered out in case of failure to hit three consecutive balls.
- Players can’t exchange the bases during the shot.
- Both teams must agree on the number of innings in a series.
- A player cannot intentionally hit the other person.
- Generally, a match duration is fixed at 60 – 65 minutes.
- Bunting is not allowed. A batter is considered out.
- The mercy rule can only be applied after three complete innings.
- The team with the most runs is decided as the winner.
Major League Wiffle Ball Rules
Compared to regular matches, the rules differ. In a nutshell, the rules of thumb remain the same.
- Only three players play on the field, including a pitcher.
- Four balls count as a walk.
- A player found of misconduct will be terminated.
- Each team will umpire its own games.
- Disputes must be settled over calls.
- A sportsman can only wear flat-soled shoes.
- If a player is substituted, he/she can’t return to the same game.
- The pitches must be slow and must have an arc.
- If both teams violate any rules, they get -10 for that game.
- If the team or member tries to violate the rules twice, they will face disqualification at once.
- The fence height from the left to right corner must be 6m in height.
- In the extra innings, teams can start the game with loaded bases.
Wiffle ball rules for physical education mainly follow the league rules. The only exception is that in high school PE matches, both teams keep on playing extra matches until the tie break.
Wrapping It Up!
Wiffle Ball is a relatively new sport. It was initially popular as a backyard game. The holes in the ball lower the air resistance and the mass.
In the backyards, it can be played as 1 to 1 between players. But in the professional leagues, two teams play against each other. The field is mainly divided into three parts. But mostly, the Wiffle ball gear is made of plastic.
During professional matches, a player can be terminated over miss conduct. Generally, there are two umpires in a match, i.e., a base umpire and a plate umpire.
We hope that this article helps you to understand the Wiffle ball rules easily and accurately. Well, in the meantime, be happy and keep on hitting the shots!